Information about cookies and user settings
a. What cookies are and how are they used.
Cookies are small text strings that the sites which a user has browsed sends to their terminal (computer, tablet, smartphone, notebook), where they are stored, before being re-transmitted to the same sites at the next visit.
The purpose of the cookie is to remember user actions and preferences, such as the browsing language, so that it does not need to be indicated again when the user moves from one page to another on the same site, or returns at a later time.
Cookies are therefore used to authenticate users, monitor browsing sessions and store information about the user’s activities for statistical or advertising purposes.
While browsing within a site, user’s computer or mobile device can also receive cookies from web servers other than the one he is visiting. These cookies are called “third-party cookies”.
Cookies may not collect any information stored on the user’s computers or files.
Cookies can be:
- “Session”: these are stored on the computer for purely technical and functional requirements, for the transmission of session identifiers which are required in order to ensure a safe and efficient browsing experience. They are deleted at the end of the “session” (hence the name) when the browser is closed. This type of cookie avoids the need to use other IT techniques that could potentially jeopardize the privacy of users’ navigation;
- “Persistent”: these remain stored on the computer hard drive until expiry or cancellation by users/visitors. Through persistent cookies visitors who access the site (or any other users who use the same computer) are automatically recognized each time they visit. Persistent cookies fulfil many functions in the interest of browsers (such as the use of the browsing language or storing the shopping cart in online shopping. However, persistent cookies can also be used for promotional purposes. Visitors can set their computer’s browser so that it accepts/rejects all cookies or views an alert whenever a cookie is prompted, in order to assess whether or not to accept it.
In any case, users can always change the default configuration and disable cookies (i.e. block them definitively), by setting the highest security level.
b. How cookies work and how they are deleted.
The most common and widespread web browsers allow cookies to be deleted manually or automatically when the browser is closed. The same browsers can be configured (admin panel) to block the creation of cookies; in this case, the proper functioning of the website or Internet service offered is no longer guaranteed.
Cookies have been identified as:
- technical cookies;
- user profiling cookies;
- third-party cookies.
the Authority for the protection of personal data defines the following types of cookie as technical cookies, which do not require consent for their use:
- “analytics cookies”, used directly by the site manager to collect information, in aggregate form, on the number of users and how they visit the site;
- browsing or session cookies (for example, for authentication);
- function cookies, which allow users to browse based on a series of selected criteria (such as language, or a wishlist) in order to improve the service rendered to the same.
Profiling cookies, including both those created by the website and those generated by third parties, are instead those designed to create profiles related to the user. They are used in order to send advertising messages in line with the preferences shown by the same during web browsing.
For this type of cookie, the Authority requires explicit user acceptance.
LIST OF COOKIES
Below is a list of the technical, functional and analytics cookies used by this website.
|CAKEPHP||Saving navigation session||Technical||Session||Site|
|CakeCookie[lang]||Language preference||Technical||20 days||Site|
|_utma||Used to distinguish users and sessions||Analytics||2 years||Google Analytics|
|_utmb||Used to determine new sessions/visits||Analytics||30 minutes||Google Analytics|
|_utmc||Used for session timeframe||Analytics||Session||Google Analytics|
|_utmt||Used to throttle request rate||Analytics||10 minutes||Google Analytics|
|_utmz||explains how the user reached the site||Analytics||6 months||Google Analytics|
|_zlcid||Used to offer support chats||Analytics||1 year||Zopim.com|
|_zprivac||Used to store conversations||Analytics||1 year||Zopim.com|
Analytics, browsing and function cookies that do not require prior user consent.
Cookies relative to third parties, of websites or web servers other than this website, used for the purposes of said parties. This website is unable to exercise specific control over said parties and the relative cookies.
To obtain information about these cookies, their characteristics and how they work and specially consent to their use, users must use the links present in the cookie table provided or directly contact the relative third parties.
The use of the third party cookies can normally be denied by the user, also by selecting the appropriate option in his browser.
On this subject, please see the following indications.
Cookies settings on most used web browsers: